Is it weird that it took us so long to make a bigger notebook?
We’ve been making Field Notes for ten years now and — with a few exceptions — they’ve always fit in your pocket. Customers often request larger books with the same features as our regular Field Notes, and we’ve only obliged once, with the “Arts and Sciences” limited edition. When those sold out, the requests kept coming, but we sought the right formula to fit a larger “Note Book” into our permanent collection.
Our popular “Pitch Black” Memo Book eventually gave us the inspiration we needed: we improved the original dot-graph version, added a ruled version, and further expanded the line to include larger “Note Book” versions.
These new Field Notes Pitch Black Notebooks are available in 2-Packs with your choice of Dot-Graph or Ruled 60# Finch Opaque body paper. They’re bound with glossy black staples and sturdy 118# covers featuring new, Field Notes-exclusive black/kraft duplex paper from French Paper Co. (see film below). Both feature a new Pitch Black logo discreetly printed on the back.
These 4-3/4" × 7-1/2" books allow more room for textual flim-flam, so we added some possibly-useful information regarding light and darkness to the inside covers of the notebooks, along with our usual Specifications and Practical Applications.
We’re excited to finally offer larger Field Notes in our permanent collection. We’ll always argue that “kraft is the new black,” but why not have both? You’ll find that they match every outfit, and Field Notes have never felt more at home on Main Street, Wall Street, and all the dark alleys in between.
2 SIDES TO EVERY STORY
Pitch Black has always been one of our best sellers. Aside from expanding the Pitch Black series to include additional sizes and interior page styles, we’ve also upgraded the look and feel of the books. Perhaps the most significant change is moving the series to custom-duplexed covers. Working with our pals at the French Paper Company in Niles, Michigan, we created a Field Notes-exclusive cover stock made up of “Blacktop” for the outsides and fused it to our standby “Packing Brown Wrap” for the insides. It was a big undertaking, involving lots of steps and the final result is pretty special. For those who dig machines in motion and sweet and messy industrial environments, we present “Cover Story”, a documentary on the whole process.
- Proudly printed by the good people of eDOC Communications, Mount Prospect, Ill.
- Cover: French Paper Co. custom-made 118#C “Pitch Black Duplex” (“Blacktop” and “Packing Brown Wrap”) with a brute force application of “Stephanite” (outside) and “Dachshund Nose Black” (inside) soy-based Saphira inks.
- Innards: Finch Paper Opaque Smooth 60#T “Bright White,” with a fine, 1-color application of “Light Mist Gray” soy-based Saphira ink.
- Cover and innards printed on a Heidelberg Speedmaster XL 105 40" 6-color press.
- Bound with gloss black staple wire on a Heidelberg Stitchmaster ST 270 5-pocket saddle stitcher with cover feeder/scorer & Rima RS 10S in-line stacker.
- Corners precisely rounded to 1/2" (12.7mm) radius with a Challenge SCM double round-corner machine.
- Dot-Graph grid: 3/16" × 3/16" (4.7mm × 4.7mm). Ruled lines: 1/4" (6.4mm).
- Note book dimensions are 4-3/4" × 7-1/2" (121mm × 191mm).
- FIELD NOTES uses only the Futura typeface family (Paul Renner, 1927) in its materials.
- All FIELD NOTES note books are printed and manufactured in the U.S.A.
Payment & Security
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.
Leave a photo review and get a 10% off discount.