AN UPDATED CLASSIC
We introduced our “Pitch Black” dot-graph Field Notes Memo Book in 2013, and it quickly became one of our most popular memo books. After a few reprints, we’ve made some upgrades, and we’re now offering a range of Pitch Black books with a variety of options.
Our classic 3-1/2" × 5-1/2" Pitch Black memo books are still available in 3-Packs with the original Dot-Graph 60# Finch Opaque body paper, but there’s also a Ruled version now. Both versions are bound with glossy black staples and sturdy 118# covers featuring new, Field Notes-exclusive black/kraft duplex paper from French Paper Co. (see film below). The family also features a new Pitch Black logo discreetly printed on the back. (We just might get that tattooed somewhere…).
Pitch Black has always been considered Field Notes’ more “urbane” offering, a favorite everywhere from the white-collar downtown boardroom to the black-turtleneck uptown studio. The new kraft inside covers add a hint of earthy charm to Pitch Black’s hip professionalism. Or professional hipness, if you prefer. Either way, Pitch Black makes a fashionable home for your best ideas.
2 SIDES TO EVERY STORY
Pitch Black has always been one of our best sellers. Aside from expanding the Pitch Black series to include additional sizes and interior page styles, we’ve also upgraded the look and feel of the books. Perhaps the most significant change is moving the series to custom-duplexed covers. Working with our pals at the French Paper Company in Niles, Michigan, we created a Field Notes-exclusive cover stock made up of “Blacktop” for the outsides and fused it to our standby “Packing Brown Wrap” for the insides. It was a big undertaking, involving lots of steps and the final result is pretty special. For those who dig machines in motion and sweet and messy industrial environments, we present “Cover Story”, a documentary on the whole process.
- Proudly printed by the good people of eDOC Communications, Mount Prospect, Ill.
- Cover: French Paper Co. custom-made 118#C “Pitch Black Duplex” (“Blacktop” and “Packing Brown Wrap”) with a brute force application of “Stephanite” (outside) and “Dachshund Nose Black” (inside) soy-based Saphira inks.
- Innards: Finch Paper Opaque Smooth 60#T “Bright White,” with a fine, 1-color application of “Light Mist Gray” soy-based Saphira ink.
- Cover and innards printed on a Heidelberg Speedmaster XL 105 40" 6-color press.
- Bound with gloss black staple wire on a Heidelberg Stitchmaster ST 270 5-pocket saddle stitcher with cover feeder/scorer & Rima RS 10S in-line stacker.
- Corners precisely rounded to 3/8" (9.5mm) radius with a Challenge SCM double round-corner machine.
- Dot-Graph grid: 3/16" × 3/16" (4.7mm × 4.7mm). Ruled lines: 1/4" (6.4mm).
- Memo book dimensions are 3-1/2" × 5-1/2" (89mm × 140mm).
- FIELD NOTES uses only the Futura typeface family (Paul Renner, 1927) in its materials.
- All FIELD NOTES note books are printed and manufactured in the U.S.A.
Payment & Security
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.
Leave a photo review and get a 10% off discount.